Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Cozy Recipe ~ Crockpot Caramel Corn

I'm loving this summer schedule I found on Pinterest.  I feel like it's definitely the way to go as we're trying to plan playdates and outings and whatnot.  We're making memories and I don't feel completely overloaded with activities.


Today was What's Cooking Wednesday.  During my regular weekly menu planning, I try to do Slow Cooker Sunday.  I was browsing through my cookbook and found a section of kid-friendly recipes.  When I saw Caramel Corn, I was intrigued.  The recipe was simple enough for Little Man to help, and it wouldn't take all day.


I made a few changes to the original recipe, which can be found in this cookbook.

Caramel Corn with Peanuts
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used light syrup)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 bag unsalted popcorn, popped (I used light butter)
2 cups peanuts

*You could easily replace the peanuts with any other add-in.  The book suggests using coconut flakes, chocolate chips, or almonds.

Heat the butter, brown sugar, syrup, and vanilla in the slow cooker on the high setting until melted.  Add in the popcorn and peanuts and mix well.  Cover and cook on high for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Uncover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  Spread onto a greased sheet to cool.

We starting cooking about mid-morning.  We timed it to finish right after lunch.  It cooled during naptime and made a delicious mid-afternoon snack!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...