Tuesday, July 2, 2013

DIY Spice Racks

The Mister is a pretty amazing man.  He is the only man I've ever known who has actually asked for a Honey-Do list.  He wanted his first project for our new house to be a pretty chalkboard Honey-Do list.  There is one catch, he seems to think that every project requires at least one new power tool.  Our garage will soon be overflowing.

I must say that he is putting his talents to good use.  I've been wanting a really good spice rack.  We have these pillars in our kitchen.  They're really pretty, but they make decorating a little awkward.  We found a way to utilize that space.  I asked for a counter to ceiling spice rack.  The Mister was more than happy to oblige.


He took a few boards, a power saw, an absolutely-necessary brand new brad nailer, some screws and a can of ebony stain... and this was the result!  I absolutely love it!  I have a few more things to add to the top shelf and I'd like to change out a few of the spice jars.  Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I want all of the jars to match.  

If I was truly on top of things, I would have had The Mister write down all the steps and measurements.  Yeah... I'm not that good.  They look good though, right?  However, I can share what he told me he did.  First, I told him I wanted something similar to these.  He analyzed them repeatedly took a quick glance and told me it was simple.  He made one really long shelf with the bottom and back.  He added a small lip to the front of the entire shelf.  Then he cut them down to size and added the sides to each shelf.  He added a few layers of stain and polyurethane to seal it.  Done.  He brought out every tool imaginable (it may have actually been just a level, measuring tape, and drill), and up they went!



I couldn't be happier with the result.  Now he get's to start on my next project... a trunk for blankets in our living room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...